View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 8:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Color part of the graph using hidden threshold line 
pChart user
pChart user

Post Color part of the graph using hidden threshold line
Hi,

Is there an easy way to draw the graph that has specific area colored? For ex: you set a threshold line -> if the graph has curves above threshold then it will have its area or line's color different than the curves under threshold line. Like the one show below

It should be a work around for this by dividing the whole graph to smaller graphs which are graphs under threshold and graphs above threshold. Then for each graph, it will be filled with different color. The problem is the areas are filled based on X-zone (vertically), not Y-zone (Horizontally) like the graph above...

Thank you,
Anh

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:33 pm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Re: Color part of the graph using hidden threshold line
Hi,

Conditional chart formatting is in project, I cannot give you a date but this is something that I have in my todo already.

I'll keep you posted.

Kind regards,
JD.

Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:43 pm
Profile WWW
pChart user
pChart user

Hi JD,
I created a "vertical colored area" here is the code. The code will "break" the main graph to two types of graph: >Threshold, <Threshold line. I just am just too lazy to add the colored code. But as you can see, the area color change when it meet Threshold line.

Attachments:
TestGraph.png
TestGraph.png [ 15.2 KiB | Viewed 15746 times ]
graph.png
graph.png [ 72.54 KiB | Viewed 15754 times ]
graph.rar [2.51 KiB]
Downloaded 755 times
Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:23 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

Interesting rendering!

I got some kind of similiar idea some days ago, using the derivative value of the charting function to determine the chart velocity and apply a specific color to the segments.

JD.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:42 pm
Profile WWW
pChart user
pChart user

Here is the "horizontal area colored" graph. This one is faster since there are only 2 graphs, "Below" and "Above" Threshold. It does not break the graph into many other graphs, only 2.

Attachments:
TestGraph.png
TestGraph.png [ 16.79 KiB | Viewed 15740 times ]
MainGraph (1).png
MainGraph (1).png [ 73.45 KiB | Viewed 15740 times ]
File comment: This version creates 2 graphs only: "Above Threshold" and "Below Threshold"
graph_v2.rar [2.8 KiB]
Downloaded 765 times
Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:28 pm
pChart user
pChart user

jean-damien wrote:
Interesting rendering!

I got some kind of similiar idea some days ago, using the derivative value of the charting function to determine the chart velocity and apply a specific color to the segments.

JD.

Yes definitely, derivative is used to find slope(goes down or up), min, max, rate of change.

Mine is a little different. The hardest part of this is giving you just few points (in this case 40 points) you have to make the change occur right at the threshold line. Question is how can you do that with rough data:
EX: y[20]=30, y[21]=45,etc, threshold=38, the graph change will be at point y[20]=30 not at threshold=38 -> Solve the problem by increase the resolution of the graph by breaking the main curve into say 1000 points <-> x increases 0.01 (for time=10s ->dx=10/1000=0.01). How to do that? A: By using linear interpolation and binary search -> Problem solved!

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:26 am
pChart user
pChart user

How can I set gradient for series color? I dont see it on SetPalette function.

Thanks,

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:13 am
Site Admin
Site Admin

I really appreciate your work on this!

Idea is on its way, I can't promise something relevant in the 2.0.13 but probably for the 2.0.14.

Gradients are not supported yet for area charts (mainly because this would need to rewrite the GD drawpolygon() function that is a true nightmare). Only few function can handle it (drawBarChart(),drawStackedBarChart())

JD.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:05 pm
Profile WWW
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've made a draft implementation of the series slope computing here : drawDerivative().

It may be useful to track values changes, we'll see if it have some interest.

JD.

Attachments:
drawDerivative.png
drawDerivative.png [ 29.5 KiB | Viewed 15717 times ]
Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:05 pm
Profile WWW
pChart user
pChart user

jean-damien wrote:
I've made a draft implementation of the series slope computing here : drawDerivative().

It may be useful to track values changes, we'll see if it have some interest.

JD.

Hi JD,

Very nice!!! Personally I very like this idea, it can tell how steep the slope is. However, if the gradient color can be applied directly to the graph, I am sure it will draw more attention. I would love helping you to bring the gradient color into the graph, but I truly say that I dont have much knowledge about GDI and computer graphic stuff,... I will take a look, can you tell me where should I start?

With this idea, I think you can bring the "black body radiation" chart into the library ;). This chart is used a lot in research and education area.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next